Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, November 10, 2008

Surprise Prize!

(I wish I had pictures of my final products, but I didn't know there was going to be a need!)

Last night our church had a fellowship dinner and a dessert cook-off. Being the "spiritual formation" minister's wife I felt I like I needed to participate and I thought it would be fun also. So I entered 2 different categories. Now I wouldn't really call myself much of a baker or a cook, but I certainly try! So I made "Oreo Balls" which I have made a ton and they are extremely good and Banana Pudding, which I have made once and it the first time I made it, it was pretty good.

Well much to my surprise I won in both categories. My banana pudding (in the MISC. category) won 2nd place and my Oreo Balls (in the cookie/brownie category) won 1st! I truly couldn't believe it. I think Jason was embarrassed to announce my name since he was running the event and all and he didn't want people to think he was cheating. (He did none of the judging and certainly wouldn't have picked me if he was :)! )

(Lynlee posing with my 1st place ribbon, she refused to look at the camera!)


So in honor of my wins I want to share my prize winning Oreo Ball recipe with you. They are so easy to make and make a fun gift when you stick them in a glass jar with a cute ribbon. Or you can just make them and enter them into your own bake-off and win something :)!


"Oreo Balls"
you will need:
1 package of oreos
1 package of cream cheese (softened)
1 package of vanilla or chocolate almond bark (I use vanilla.)
wax paper

1. Put the oreos in your food processor to crunch them up. If you don't have a food processor (like me) just put them in a ziplock baggie and just your rolling pin.

2. Put your finely crunched oreos in a large bowl and add the softened cream cheese. Mix together until your oreos crumbs are completely coated with the cream cheese. It will end up being a soft, gooey substance.

3. Melt your almond bark in the microwave (be sure to follow the directions exactly so it doesn't burn).

4. Set the melted almond bark right next to the oreo mixture. Get a teaspoon size spoon and fill it with the oreo mixture, put it in your hand and roll it into a ball, drop it in your almond bark and roll it around until it's covered. Take it out and drop it on your wax paper. Repeat.

The recipe will make 30 oreo balls.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely looked surprised when they announced you as a winner. However, I'm not so sure that the contest wasn't rigged....

I'll also add that I didn't get to try either.

However, the high point of the night was having your kid sit at my table!

Tawny and Kya said...

Uh, YUM!!!!
I am so making those soon! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Everytime I make oreo balls they are a hit and no one can ever believe how simple they are! Congrats!

Miss G said...

congrats! I so wish that we had gotten pics of your stuff! I brought my camera but the battery was dead when we got there but Adrian took some pics that I'm about to post of Renae's and my desserts with his iphone. I was so proud of you! Kelly

LoriLoo310 said...

Oh yum, those Oreo balls sound awesome. You just gave me my contribution to my annual cookie exchange.

You're close to 20 weeks now ... when do you find out the gender?

mindy said...

yum-o! I'm not surprised they one first place! Those things are the best, and always seem a lot fancier than just three ingredients. I'm really happy that you taught me about them, I've passed that recipe on to lots of people over the past couple of years. Man, the more I talk about them here, the more I want to go make some right now:)Congrats friend!

amy said...

Oh my! My mouth is watering- can't wait to make these!